Monday, October 31, 2011

The Columbus Dispatch | Schumacher Place residents enjoy German Village lifestyle

Neighborhood has similar look, nightlife while offering lower-priced homes, fewer restrictions

view the article here.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wear Your Bike Helmet To Work Or School Day

Help us prevent head injuries. Last year, 51,000 injuries were prevented by wearing a bike helmet. On Wednesday September 21st, join the American Academy of Pediatrics and Governor Kasich in a statewide effort to promote helmet safety. Wear your bike helmet to work or school and tell everyone why!

Help your kids remember to wear their helmets. It’s all about saving lives.

Angela Mingo
Director, Community Relations
Nationwide Children's Hospital

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Wagner Hagans Auto Museum in Schumacher Place

Wagner Hagans Auto Museum
476 East Kossuth Street Columbus, Ohio 43206

20 Cars for the 20’s, 30’s, 40’s, 50’s and more. Hundreds of car signs, gasoline signs, license plates, traffic lights, gas pumps, cases full of car memorabilia.

Open: Every Sunday evening through December 18, 2011 6PM to 8PM

For more information contact: Steve Wagner at 614-271-0888 or Mark Hagans at 614-554-5879 

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Call for Artists and Volunteers

The SPCA House and Garden Tour Committee is seeking artists to participate in our garden and arts tour to be held on Saturday, August 27. Although we do want artists who fit into specific themes in each of the eight gardens on our tour, we also welcome artists who want to put up booths or play music along the tour route. If you know any artists, please send their contact information (or invite them to contact) Jeanne Tranter, 581.0979 or The attached postcard provides more information on the event.

We also will need a lot of volunteers from the neighborhood to pull off this fun and unique event. We could use your creativity and your time. (We promise not to hog it; there will be plenty of time for you to tour the gardens yourself!) We will be sending a list of volunteer positions shortly — but feel free to contact Jeanne before then if you want to be a part of this first-of-its-kind Schumacher celebration.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Rally for Reily

Sunday, May 22nd 12PM - 8PM | Columbus Maennerchor
The Rally for Reilly is a benefit for Reilly Gall, and will feature music by the John Mullins Band, John Schwab of McGuffey Lane, Tempted, and several others. The art auction will feature local artists such as Michael Guinane and Walter Herrmann, as well as national and international artists, along with more than $3000 in gift cards from Columbus restaurants and businesses. There will also be food, a cash bar and games. Join us for a day of music, food and fun!

Se more information on the Facebook Event Page

Tuesday, March 29, 2011


Announcing, a new citizen-managed blog/website used to share Crime Alerts and safety tips in German Village & Schumacher Place neighborhoods -- set to launch this Friday, April 1st.

Anyone will be able to visit the website and read content, however only registered users will be able to post to the site and sign up to receive automatic email Crime Alerts, every time a post has been submitted and approved. Registration is free and only takes a few seconds to sign up. In addition to the Crime Alert postings, the site will also include crime prevention and safety tips, information about the monthly German Village Police Luncheons, emergency contact and crisis numbers, links to important sites like the Columbus Police Department’s Crime Reports®, and the ability to file a police report online .... All from  

Read the press release here.

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Let’s showcase the artistry of Schumacher Place!

Calling all Schumacher Place neighbors with a flair for or love of the arts! We are celebrating the artistry of Schumacher Place at this year’s house and garden tour through a whole new approach: A garden and art tour, “Romancing the Neighborhood: Exploring Art, Expressing Love.” We need people, artists and gardens. First, we need a committee big enough to pull off what we think can be the best, most creative garden tour in our city.  And we need five gardens, in relatively close proximity to each other, to be on the tour. If you are proud of your garden, please show it off! (It would be helpful, but not necessary, if you also had a garage or covered porch to showcase some art in the event of rain.)
This is big: We even applied for a grant from the Greater Columbus Arts Council to help us pull it off. Don’t miss out on the fun of working together on this first-of-its-kind event. Join us for the initial planning meeting on Friday, April 22nd (the day after the social) at Hal’s and Jeanne’s house, 345 Forest Street (southeast corner of Ebner and Forest).

Please RSVP to me (Jeanne Tranter), and let me know if you can join us at this first meeting — or are otherwise interested in being a part of the art of Schumacher Place.

Thank you!


Wednesday, March 16, 2011


Board & Public Meeting: 6:30-8PM
Gary Stroud – President 
Phil Winkelmann – Vice President 
Mike Loyd – Treasurer 
Jocelyn Krosky – Secretary 
Lynn Stowe – Member at Large 
Mary Kay Oris – Member at Large 
Carla Fountaine – Community Relations Specialist w/ CH 
Stephanie Perry – Children’s Hospital 
Brian Boczek – SPCA Resident 
Bill Chappel – SPCA Resident & Member of the Columbus Southside Area Commission

February 17th, 2011: ‘Membership Meet & Greet’ @ Gresso’s from 6:30-8:30pm. 
March 15th, 2011: SPCA Board & Public Meeting @ the Maennechor from 6:30-8:30pm.

  • Phil to write up a report concerning the CPD Ride Along that he attended. 



  • Gary and Board members discussed a mission statement. 
  • House plans for Sycamore St. Residence
    • Gary presented the following questions to the home builder (Cugini & Capoccia Builders): 
      • Are there any variances?
      • Are they following the setbacks?  
      • Are they building a garage? 
      • Are they going to have to remediate any asbestos or Meth related toxins and have they done any testing to prove whether or not remediation is needed?
    • Cugini & Capoccia Builders stated that demolishing the house would alleviate all concerns listed above.
    • All members agreed that this was not an acceptable answer especially when talking about asbestos and meth contamination. 
    • All SPCA Board members agreed that Gary would call the South Side Area Commission Chairman (Joe Stephananko) again and ask him the following: 
  • Secretary
    • Reviewed the meeting notes from the Board Meeting on Jan. 15th, 2011. 
    • All action items have been taken care of by members of the Board. 
    • Phil is going to write up a report for the CPD ride along – Jocelyn to create an action item for him to do this.
    • Jocelyn will make revisions per SPCA Board recommendations to the Jan 15th 2011 meeting notes and then send them to Will Robbins so that he can post the notes on the SPCA website. 
  • Treasurer 
    • Mike passed out the updated budget. 
    • Membership gifts have been finished. 
    • 250 magnets were made for $176. 
    • $450 has come in for membership so far for SPCA. 
    • $5,700 is available to SPCA for cash. 
    • We are still well within budget and came in under budget for our membership gifts.
    •  Mike passed out the membership log. 
      • We have 28 memberships so far this year. 
      • 12 are new members who were not members in 2010. 
      • Phil will contact Dwight to send out a reminder for the Meet and Greet tomorrow.
      • 19 household memberships and 1 business membership (Jim Daley) 
      • 5 Senior memberships. 
      • 1 of the 19 household memberships was a gift membership. 
      • One member agreed to work on the newsletter. 
      • Mike asked that the group discuss a follow up letter thanking everyone who signed on to be a member, or working out a senior pal around. 
      • Bill Chappell suggested (on recommendation from Hal Lieberman) that there be a second membership drive later in the year since this one happened in the winter, when people aren’t usually outside. 
      • All agreed that this would happen towards the summer 
    • Group discussed the Membership Meet and Greet: 
        • Lynn Stowe is going to make about 40 more copies of the membership forms to have at the meet and greet. 
        • Mike stated he will take charge of collecting all membership forms and checks from Board members who are roaming the Meet & Greet. 
        •  All Board members will be at the Meet & Greet at 6:15pm. 
        • Mike will bring magnets and magnets are given to members after they have filled out the forms.  
        • Brian will pick up name tags for the event on Thursday.  
        • Lynn will work the table and Mike will check names and record and collect forms. 
  • Art Grant
    • Mike stated that the grant will be about $6,500 - part of that will be in-kind funded, and the rest will be funded by SPCA match. 
    • Brian Boczek is going to take the lead on writing the grant. 
    • So far, Artists are coming out of the woodwork to be a part of the event.
  • Membership Gifts 
    • Membership gifts have been finished. 
    • 250 magnets were made for $176. 
    • See above Treasurer report for more statements about the gifts. 
  • Bill Chappell provided an Update for the Columbus Southside Area Commission 
    • John Malony Center is coming back to town. Jocelyn’s firm, DesignGroup is designing the center. 
    • The Block of Barthman, Woodrow, Parsons and 4th will have some new buildings (retail, John Malony Center, parking, South Side Area Learning Center, housing).
    • Innis St. is in bad shape, so the City is going to take possession of some properties in order to try and sell them. 
    • New O’Reilly Auto Parts store is arriving on Parsons near the Kroger. 
    • Bill stated that the commission is not at capacity for members, therefore, if anyone knows of any businesses or religious organization that would want to participate in the commission to please forward names to him. 
    • PAMA – Parsons Avenue Merchants Association has a listing of all businesses in the area. 
  • Children’s Hospital (CH) Construction Update – ‘Healthy Neighborhoods, Healthy Families’ was presented by Carla Fountaine. 
    • Five Pronged Approach to upgrade housing in the Livingston Avenue area.  
    • Two in-house CH employees receive applications from local residents and evaluate the home to determine viability for improvements. 
    • Money comes from the City, United Way, CD4AP. 
    • CH Adopted Livingston Elementary. 
    • Added 6 acres of neighborhood green space 
    • CH has increased local and minority hiring through their construction projects.
    • Upgraded 59 homes so far. 
    • 15 have been renovated as rentals. 
    • 24 are owner occupied homes that have been repaired. 
    • 20 were Home Renovations for sale. 
    • Houses are sold for around $88,000-just over $100,000. 
  • CH works with students at Livingston Elem. 
    • Walk with Kids. 
    • Mentor and read with kids. 
    • Developed Fan Club with the students. 
  • Health and Wellness 
    • Free Medicaid enrollment and recertification because many do not know who to talk to about this and even if they are able to apply for it. 
    • Neighborhood Farmer’s Market. 
    • Charitable Pharmacy and Vaccination Clinics. 
    • Stephanie Perron will forward Farmers Market dates to Phil for SPCA distribution. 
  • CH buys flowers and mulch to distribute to local neighbors in the Spring and support the ‘Plant on Parsons’ endeavor. 
  • West Campus Updates: 
    • West Campus has a new research building being built. 
    • The old Kroger has mock-ups of the patient rooms that will be in the new hospital addition. 
  • Ronald McDonald house will expand, but the site and building were developed to allow for the expansion in place. 
  • Vision 2012: 
      • More housing renovations. 
      • Hospital addition will open in 2012. 
      • A new parking garage will have 200 spaces and is located under the park to help with closer walks for patients.
      • New wayfinding signs for visitors.
      • Parsons/Livingston Intersection Upgrade will start up in force again this Spring.
      • Carla suggested that we speak with JoAnne St. Clair about what exactly is going on with the Parson/Livingston Street Improvements 
    • CH will be starting to redevelop Livingston between 18th and Heyl. 
      • Long Term Use - possibly Clinic or offices. 
      • Short Term Use – Alleviate street parking and provide more spots for staff. 
    • For every property removed, 3 houses will be renovated. o 
    • Other projects: 
      • ODOT 70/71 will affect Children’s Hospital at the Orthopedic Center. 
      • Ambulance exits are being affected. 
      • Kroger building will be demolished in May 2011. 
  • CPD Ride Along 
    • Phil to write up a report from the ride along and present it to the Board for approval at the March 15th SPCA Board & Public meeting.
Meeting Adjourned

Should there need to be any changes or revisions made to the meeting notes, please contact Jocelyn via email.

Saturday, February 19, 2011


This might be a stretch, but Im hoping somebody might recognize this poor guy and take him home. I found Him at Livingston and Nelson today (the 17th)  he's super friendly, and rather young. he's been well cared for and Im sure somebody has to be missing him. He's not been neutered, and has had his dew claws removed.  all he had on was a pretty specific collar and no Tags of any sort.  if you know him, Please let me know. i Just want to get him back to his family.

Saturday, February 5, 2011

2011 SPCA Membership

Click on form to enlarge and print

Hello neighbors,

    My name is Phil Winkelmann, I'm the Vice-President of your Schumacher Place Civic Association, and we are reaching out to you today, to ask you to join the Schumacher Place Civic Association.  It is a great way to become involved in your neighborhood and get better acquainted with your neighbors. We are hosting a "Meet & Greet" on Thursday, February 17th at Gresso’s ( 961 South High Street ) from 6:30-8:30pm.  We have the upstairs reserved, and we hope you will join us, there will be FREE food, and drinks can be purchased.
The Schumacher Place Civic Association also supports several Social events, we have our Monthly Schumacher Place Socials, which is a “pot luck”, held monthly and hosted by neighbors.  Our Annual House & Garden Tour is held every June, there are kickball tournaments, and other fun events.  We are also actively working on an Arts event, so we would like to know if you, or someone in the area, is involved in the arts.  Schumacher Place is also participating in a new multi-community crime alert website project called "Cyber Blockwatch", to better fight Crime in our neighborhood (more information on this will be coming soon).

The Schumacher Place Civic Association meets on the third Tuesday of every month, to discuss what is happening in our community, and what we can do to improve it.  We will have our February SPCA Public Meeting at the Maennerchor, on Tuesday, February 15th, from 6:30-8:30.  A representative from Children’s Hospital will be joining us for that meeting, to give us an update on their construction, as well as all the great things they are doing to improve our neighborhood.  It will be very enlightening.

To keep informed about upcoming events and how YOU can become involved subscribe TODAY at our Schumacher Place Website

You can also become a friend of Schumacher Place on Face Book at

We hope you will join us at our public meeting or the "Meet & Greet".  If you would like to become a member, feel free to fill out the other side of this flyer or go to our website and sign up.  

We hope to see you soon,


Phil Winkelmann
Vice President, SPCA

Black History Month Celebration

Greetings Friends,

     In commemoration of Black History Month, Nationwide Children’s Hospital invites you to attend our Community Open House and Performing Arts Showcase on Wednesday, February 16, 2011. The showcase will be held at the Ann Isaly Wolfe Education Center in Stecker Auditorium (575 S. 18th St.) from 6:00 - 8:00 p.m.
     This event features performances by community musicians, dancers and artists, including the Church for All People’s All People Band. We encourage you to visit the event and enjoy an evening that celebrates the heritage of African-Americans. 
     We are delighted to take this opportunity to enhance diversity and culture appreciation in our community. We look forward to seeing you at the event.
Angela M. Mingo
Director, Community Relations
Nationwide Children's Hospital
255 E. Main Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215

(614) 355-0709

Visit us online at

Monday, January 24, 2011

Missing Dog

Responds to "Bear"
Last seen 8:30p near Washington/ Stewart on 1/22/11 
Tri-color with black body, white chest & paws, and 
brown facial markings, approximately 50 lbs
Friendly, loves other dogs and people
Call 253.820.2709 with information

January 8th, 2010 - SPCA Meeting Minutes


Board Meeting: 1-4PM


Gary Stroud – President 

Phil Winkelmann – Vice President 
Mike Loyd – Treasurer 
Jocelyn Krosky – Secretary 
Lynn Stowe – Member at Large 
Mary Kay Oris – Member at Large


Gary Stroud

  • Gary to speak with Brian Lanoue about performing an audit of the SPCA Budget. 
  • Gary to provide Bill Robbins’ contact information to Phil. 
  • Gary will contact local neighborhood newspapers and The Other Paper to see about getting a free advertisement for SPCA in them.  
  • Gary will email Officer Larry Brown about Crime Pens.  
  • Gary to contact Dwight Garner about sending an email out to solicit a volunteer to spearhead the Home/Garden/Art Tour. 

Lynn Stowe

  • Lynn Stowe will be chair of SPCA Socials and will work with Dwight to send out email reminders for date, time, and place.  
  • Lynn to confirm date and food items for Membership ‘Meet & Greet’ with Gresso’s on February 17th. 

Mike Loyd

  • Mike will research the Membership Gift that will be handed out at the Membership ‘Meet & Greet’ on February 17th. 
  • Mike will prepare a 2011 Budget and present it at the next SPCA Board Meeting on January 18th. 
  • Mike to contact Dwight to see if Dwight can send an email out to members to request if there are any items that can be added to the SPCA Archive. 

Phil Winklemann

  • Phil will rework the membership form based on the comments listed below in the meeting minutes and will present it to Board for approval at next meeting. 
  • Phil to Contact Bill Robbins about the SP logo for membership forms and to receive a website update.  
  • Phil to contact realtors who are representing homes in Schumacher Place to see if they will pay for the first years membership to SPCA for the buyer of the home. 
  • Phil will speak to Dwight Garner about possibly obtaining a Special Events Coordinator. 

Jocelyn Krosky

  • Jocelyn will contact Dwight Garner and Mike Loyd to obtain both membership spreadsheets and will create one membership spreadsheet for SPCA to use and add to. 
  • Jocelyn will contact Sue at the Mannaechor to set up all SPCA Board and Public Meetings. NEXT MEETING DATES: 
    • January 18th, 2011: Board & Public Meeting @ Mannaechor from 6:30-8:30pm.
    • February 5th, 2011: Membership Form Roll-out – Meet at Lynn Stowe's House (831 Bruck) at 1pm.
    • February 17th, 2011: ‘Membership Meet & Greet’ @ Gresso’s from 6:30-8:30pm. 

  • Karen ran them last year and is moving so someone else needs to take over the responsibility. 
  • Karen has asked for volunteers to have the social at their house each month. 
  • Social occurs once a month, 3rd Thursday of the month. 6:30-8:30pm. 
  • Every month except December they occur. 
  • Could ask Dwight to send an email out soliciting a volunteer to organize them. 
  • Lynn is going to take charge of it February social. Post Meeting Update: Karen Gunderman will be taking over all other socials for the year starting in March. 
  • Everyone brings a dish and a drink and the host always has the plates, silverware, and glasses. It is up to the host if they want to provide a meat dish or not. 
  • There are opportunities to have the social at a restaurant if needed. In November, there was a social at Gresso’s. 
  • There is an opportunity to have a social at the Audubon or at Schiller – summer or early fall cookout. 

  • Mike passed out Treasurer Report, SPCA Budget, and a Membership Log. 
  • Savings Account = $2561.93 
  • Checking Account = $2957.69 
  • Total = $5519.62 
  • Mike would like to re-work the budget today so that he can present a revised budget at the next meeting. 
  • Gary asked Mike to associate money to each item that we add to the report. 
  • Mike would like to have an audit done of the budget. 
  • Gary stated that Brian Lanoue? (who lives on Beech) is an accountant. Gary will talk to Brian about performing the audit.


  • Mike provided a list of members who have paid. 
  • We need to figure out how to more effectively use the membership forms. 
  • Mike would like a volunteer to help with the members (new/old) and the forms. 
  • Dwight has a spreadsheet started. 
  • Jocelyn will contact Dwight about spreadsheet and will work with Mike and Dwight to get one spreadsheet together to house all membership related information.

  • Mike would like the form to show the year on the membership form. 
  • Phil would like the logo on the form. 
  • Mary Kay stated that when houses were sold in the area, the realtors used to pay for the buyer’s 1st year membership. 
  • Phil would like to talk to the local realtors to see if they would like to pay for gift memberships again. 
  • Phil to contact Bill Robbins for logo. Gary will give contact information to Phil for Bill.
  • Mike stated that if realtors give free memberships, then we’ll put a link to their websites on our website. 
  • Jocelyn suggested contacting the local newspapers and the Other Paper to see if we can get a free ad for the membership drive. 
  • Gary will contact the local newspapers. 
  • Lynn would like to have under the volunteer category, actual categories (Home and Garden Tour, Socials, Newsletter, Website, Grants, Other). 
  • Phil will rework form and then provide it to board for review. 
  • All other membership prices will stay the same. Household Membership will become $10 after July 1st. • Phil will make the SPCA address larger and put at top.

  • Phil would like to have a flyer and would like a membership drive event. 
  • Mike said the color of the form was changed for the drive event so that SPCA could know which forms came from the event versus just by mailing in. 
  • Gary described the 2010 membership drive. 
  • Membership Party in February at Planks where SPCA provided food and drinks. 
  • Teams of 2 passed out forms prior to party at each person’s house. 
  • Jocelyn suggested that at the party we should recognize those who have been members (and for how long) and then who are the newest members. 
  • Mike stated that the membership form should have a Thank You on the form for those who are current members. 
  • We will have a Membership ‘Meet & Greet’: 
    • February 17th from 6:30-8:30.  
    • Gresso’s – Upstairs.
    • SPCA will provide food and drinks from Gresso’s – We will budget $200, and the drinks that SPCA provides will be non-alcoholic.  
    • Gresso will call Lynn the week before to confirm the food items and date. 
  • Dwight is our Communications Director. He can send out the email with the form and thanking our past members and then describing the Membership Meet and Greet and asking for volunteers for the February 5th flier pass out. 
  • Mike suggested that it would be nice to have a membership gift at the Meet and Greet. Mike will take on this effort. 
    • It should have the logo.  
    • It should have our vitals: Socials, SPCA Meeting, Home and Garden Tour, Board Members, etc. 
    • Mike would like to not go over $2 per gift. 
  • Membership forms will be passed out first weekend of February. Saturday, February 5th from 1-3pm. Meet at Lynn Stowe’s house (831 Bruck). 
  • 2010, we had 66 memberships that represented 99 people. 
  • There are 700 households in the neighborhood. 


  • Gary did email our police officer liaison, Larry Brown, about the pens. 
  • Officer Larry Brown did have some pens to give to our organization. 
  • Gary will contact Larry again about the pens. 

  • Phil and Mike have been taking charge of this committee.  
  • There are (5) members on the committee. 
  • Just finished their first brainstorming session.  
  • Mike and Phil have been passing around emails about the meetings. 
  • There are implications for the grant: 
    • Grant success will go up if there are matching funds from some organization (SPCA, Nationwide, Audubon). 
    • Mike would like to set up a budget to have a $2000 match. 
    • Part of the $2000 would be put towards insurance. 
    • Need a letter of recommendation from a potential partner. 
    • Nationwide Hospital seems to be a good partner to look at right now. 
    • Mike and Joanne will be attending some meetings this month pertaining to the grant to learn more.
    • All agreed that $2000 would be supported by SPCA for the match. 

  • Home and Garden Tour could coincide with the Art Grant.
  • Draw on local SPCA artists to also exhibit along the tour. 
  • Lisa has in the past handled the tour. 
    1. Getting the plaques. 
    2. Setting up the party. 
    3. Helping to get the houses for the Tour. 
  •  The after-party has always been popular.  
  • Gary will speak with Dwight about sending an email out to all SPCA members asking to see if there is a volunteer for the Home/Garden/Art Tour. If there are no takers, then the SPCA Board will look into doing a more Art Theme related. 
  • The volunteer would organize the tour and then would understand that the art grant may play into it. 
  • If no volunteer is found, then the SPCA Board would need to meet and then discuss what happens with this tour. 

  • 3rd Thursday of every month is Social. 
  • 3rd Tuesday of every month is the Board and the Public Meeting. 
  • January 18th will be our next meeting 6:30 at the Mannaechor – this will only be a public meeting.
  • Jocelyn will contact Sue at the Mannaechor to set up all meetings. 
  • Mannaechor is open until August before it gets torn down for Stewart School’s Renovation/Addition. 

10. BUDGET  
  • SPCA team discussed the budget and Mike will prepare a 2011 Budget and present to Board at next meeting. 
  • DeFusco & Associates is our Insurance Company. 
  • Income: 
    • Membership will be increased to $1200.  
    • Events will just be a line item and we will carry $2500.  
    • Carol Porter helped with Fundraising Events in the past and these, according to Dwight, were great money raising events. She was a paid member for this effort.
    • Lynn and Mike believe that we need someone that is from our area that believes in what we do.
    • Phil will speak to Dwight about obtaining a Special Events Coordinator. o Usually donations are tied to an event. $200 will be allotted to this category. 
  • Expenses:  
    • Misc. Supplies: $175 
    • Pizza Party: $200  
    • Events: $2300 
    • Outreach: $700 
    • Website: $50 
    • Awards & Recognition & Gifts: $275 

  • Phil is going to get in touch with Bill Robbins to discuss what is happening with it and then will report back to Board at next meeting. 

  • Gary has two containers of past SPCA archival items.  
  • We have a constitution. 
  • Mike stated that we could ask Dwight to send an email out requesting if anyone has items to give to our archive.  
  • Past board members should pass all documents to the SPCA President and the President will redistribute to the new Board Members

Meeting Adjourned.

Distributed To:
All Attendees 
Dwight Garner 
Will Robbins

Should there need to be any changes or revisions made to the meeting notes, please contact Jocelyn via email.